[tcs-lc] nameObjects, spellings, vernaculars, etc

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Sat Apr 30 14:21:48 PDT 2005

Rich,

Under the ICBN, Art. 61.1. states that only one orthographical variant of any one name is treated as validly published; so in the Index Fungorum nomenclator there will only be one 'correct' record for each name (plus one additional subsidary record if the original orthography is incorrect - although this record will only function as a pointer to the 'correct' record; other orthographic variants will not be tracked in Index Fungorum and I would assume that 'name usage' systems, like the GBIF portal index, would do this). In any of the recent discussions on 'names' when a reference is made to a 'name' in the sense of one of these 'correct' records in Index Fungorum I'm assuming (correctly?) that an option would be to include an LSID for that 'name' rather than the character string(s) representing the name+author+date. If users of names saw the utility of doing this it would solve the problems associated with trying to resolve the many variations in author citations due to differing forms/abbreviations.

Cheers,

Paul