[tcs-lc] nameObjects, spellings, vernaculars, etc

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Apr 30 13:59:40 PDT 2005

> > > I see four primary forms being important. (1) The raw
> > > character string, what ever it is, including vernaculars,
> > I've used the terms "VerbatimNameString" to refer to this, but
> for LC, James
> > proposed "Name-literal" (I think this is what he meant by that
> > term).
>
> I'm not confident.  If 'raw' implies a XML document representationt of
> character string appeared in database, then it is name-string.

I interpreted "raw" as what appears on the printed page; not necessarily
converted to electronic format.  But if it assumes conversion to electronic
format, then I agree with you, it is Name-string, not Name-literal.

> However, in the Bob's context, 'raw' seems implying each name-usage
> in my terminology.

I interpret all of the first three of his examples as usage; whereas #4 is
independent of usage.

Perhaps that is the key distinction between what I see as a name that is a
string/property, vs. a Name "Object".  The string/property name always
exists in the context of a usage, whereas the name "object" exists
independent of any particular usage context (although properties of a Name
object can include references to one or more "special" usage instances, such
as the original description).

> I suspect Bob's category #4 is what to be covered
> by nameObject, so its 'value' could be a name-literal,

But a nameObject would not necessarily have any one particular "value".
Perhaps there is one code-correct value, but there may also be other values
representing orthographic variants.

Aloha,