[tcs-lc] Misspelled Names and Orthographic Variants (Issue 005)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Apr 29 14:52:40 PDT 2005

Yes, I've come up against that gotcha as well.  For internal purposes, I try
to use the multiplication symbol as the "real" data, but have a routine that
swaps it for lower-cae "x" whenever rendering in an ISO Latin-based output
product.  That's easy enough for internal purposes, but perhaps suboptimal
for a general standard.

Where it can be meaningful and important is for names of nothotaxa.
Sometimes it's not always obvious whether a species epithet like "xalba"
represents a vothospecies.  Using a multiplication symbol for the first
character makes it self-evident.  As a quick-fix, I have sometimes gone with
"x_alba" for nothotaxa names in the database, converted appropriately at
output time.

Rich