[tcs-lc] Misspelled Names and Orthographic Variants (Issue 005)

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Thu Apr 28 06:42:33 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

Whilst marking up the instance document on Rich's hypothetical example
that I have just posted to the list I came across some points on
misspelled names and have had a bit of a discussion with Jessie and here
is what we are thinking:

1) All names that look, sound and smell like a scientific name should be
created as NameObjects. This is because:
a) Someone may have used them as part of a concept or concepts somewhere.
b) They may or may not be erroneous. We can't say don't mark up the
erroneous ones as NameObjects because you might not know they are erroneous.

2) The PublicationStatus element can be used as a human readable note in
NameObjects to indicate that a name is a orthographic variant of another
name. Other than this there should not be name-name links to indicate
misspellings.

3) To mark up a misspelling one should create a link between two
TaxonConcepts. This is because:
a) For an author to misspell a name they must have used it to refer to a
concept of some kind that it would be useful to reason about.
b) The person who misspelled the name should be in the according to.
c) If the author misspelled a name when they initially published it
(e.g. wrong gender)  there may be some concepts that use the incorrect
spelling and some that use the correct spelling. All these concepts
should be capable of being related to each other in terms of set
relationships.

In order to do 3 there needs to be a 'is misspelling of' concept
relationship type that is currently missing from the schema. This was
formerly 'is orthographic variant of' but had been removed in the great
move round. This relationship will be added back in for version 0.95.3

Attached is an instance document marked up in that way. The one I posted
before was 'interesting' but perhaps incorrect :) and some people seem
to have got a mangled version of it anyhow. Please let me know if you
can't read this one.

This is all good stuff. Finding bugs is what we want to do so we know we
are starting to test the thing.

Enjoy,

Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847