[tcs-lc] New Version of TCS announced

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Thu Apr 28 04:09:14 PDT 2005

Rich,

Please find attached an instance document that attempts to mark up the
list you have provided. I have added notes and comments to the document
to try and illustrate what I had difficulty with.

One area that I think needs discussion again is incorrect spelling of
names and how they should be presented. I'll start a separate thread on
this one.

Generally I would like to move away from Aus bus. It is one of the few
species I would really not mind becoming extinct. If we could move to
using real world examples where possible that would be great. I can put
a scan of some pages from monographs and floras/faunas somewhere if that
would help.

I hope when I finally get the first draft of a User Guide up it will
help clarify many points.

All the best,

Roger

>I do have a set of related questions that might help serve as a springboard
>for instantiating v0.95.2.  Specifically, which of the following would
>represent unique "name objects"?
>
> 1. Aiidae Smith
> 2. Xiidae Jones
> 3. Aus Smith
> 4. Xus Jones
> 5. Aus Brown [heterotypic junior homonym of Aus Smith]
> 5. Aus bea Smith [incorrect gender of species epithet]
> 6. Aus bus Smith [correct gender of species epithet]
> 7. Aus buus Smith [lapsus of species epithet]
> 8. Auus bus Smith [lapsus of genus name]
> 9. Aus fus Smith
>10. Xus bus (Smith) Jones
>11. Xus bus subsp. bus (Smith) Jones
>12. Xus bus subsp. fus (Smith) Jones
>13. Xus bus var. bus (Smith) Jones
>14. Xus bus var. fus (Smith) Jones
>15. Xus fus subs. bus (Smith) Jones* [inappropriate prioritisation of fus
>and bus]
>
>*I'm not sure how botany would handle the authorship on this one, assuming
>someone other than Smith or Brown first combined the set of three names in
>this way)

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847