[tcs-lc] TCS/LC Name Domain

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 19 08:46:54 PDT 2005

Hi Gregor:

   We've stated on various occasions that - for a concept approach to
fully succeed - individual experts, museums, on-line providers,
ecologist users, etc. will have to be more explicit about what kind of
speaker role (author, identifier) they wish to assume. This so because
calling everything a concept will lead to useless and highly redundant
inflation of poorly defined concepts. To make such inferences (concept
vs. identification) about something published in the past is of course
not always easy or unambiguous. Bob just gave some guidelines and they
seem sensible as a good first approximation. Why push further? I think
these issues will eventually sort themselves out in practice.

Best,

Nico