[tcs-lc] TCS/LC Name Domain

Martin Pullan M.Pullan at rbge.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 04:33:31 PDT 2005

I have to agree with Bob Peet here. Terms like cf. aff. sp. etc. Only
indicate a degree of uncertainty in an identification. At best they may
indicate a potential area for the development of a new concept but do
not represent one.

Another way of looking at the confusion of concept with identification
is to see it in terms of a confusion between representation and
application of a concept.

So to represent a determination/identification it should not be
necessary to make a representation of the taxon concept being applied in
order to do so. A simple pointer to somewhere where the concept is
defined would suffice and the representation of the concept could exist
outside of the document representing the specimen being determined. The
degree of uncertainty aff. Etc. is then an attribute of the link.

Cheers,
Martin