[tcs-lc] TCS/LC Name Domain

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Apr 18 00:39:22 PDT 2005

That's pretty much exactly how I've been dealing with them, but I see a
problem when we think in terms of concepts. Using my previous example in
Jones:

Aus bus Smith
Aus cf. bus Smith

We actually have three concepts SEC. Jones:

- Aus bus Smith SEC. Jones
- Aus cf. bus Smith SEC. Jones
- Aus SEC. Jones

(I neglected to include that third one in my previous email.)

So, my practice has been similar to yours in that the "cf. bus" would
default back to simply "Aus" (with a comment indicating that it was more
specifically identified as "cf. bus").  But we can't really do that in this
case, because we have a "real" Aus SEC. Jones TaxonConcept instance, that is
not congruent to the concept implied by Jones' use of "Aus cf. bus Smith".

I believe there is value in capturing the concept intended by Jones when he
referred to "cf. bus"; so like you, I think they should be captured as a
distinct TaxonConcept instance (separate from "Aus bus SEC. Jones" and from
"Aus SEC. Jones").  I'm just not sure whether they should be represented in
LC as distinct from the "Aus" and "Aus bus Smith" name objects -- and if so,
how they would be represented.

The simplest approach would be to capture "Aus cf. bus Smith" in the
<NameSimple>, but then how would you represent <NameDetailed>?

Rich