[tcs-lc] concepts of Higher taxa

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Apr 6 02:42:59 PDT 2005

> Four Nominal TaxonConcepts:
> - Aiidae (TCn1)
> - Aus (TCn2)
> - Aus bus (TCn3)
> - Aus cus (TCn4)
>
> Three Implied TaxonConcepts:
> - Aiidae SEC. Jones (TCi1)
> - Aus SEC. Jones (TCi2)
> - Aus cus SEC. Jones (TCi4)
>
> One Defined TaxonConcept:
> - Aus bus SEC. Jones (TCd3)
>
> I threw some other stuff in there, like some examples of name-name
> relationships.

OK, it is verbose, but ultimately it
a) allows name-based reasoning about the implied concepts, and
b) it allows to filter them out when presenting concepts for user selection

It works but I still don't quite like it. To me the implied concepts are
somewhat too similar to taxon name reference with undefined circumscription
concept as used in almost every specimen identification. It seems that the
paradigm established here may cause a similar handling on the identifications,
i.e. as implied concepts - which they certainly are. -- I am looking for a
shortcut to this in the case of the hierarchy assertions, similar to the
identification references to "nominal" taxon records. But at the moment I am
too tied up elsewhere to make any proposals, so lets keep it at that it works.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203