[seek] Data Stream Information

Jim Reichman reichman at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 25 13:52:34 PST 2003

We’re interesting in developing a database on who is doing what in areas
of informatics relevant to SEEK and allied projects.  In order to
categorize efforts at a high (i.e., not detailed) level, using several
nodes along the data stream, from data acquisition to storage and
archiving.  The specific nodes we’re thinking of using are:

Data acquisition
Metadata
Distributed access
Analysis, modeling, visualization
Storage and archiving

There are other categories, like taxonomy, that I’m not sure about re:
where they fit in.  Any suggestions of other high level nodes would be
appreciated. We have a couple of people tracking down activities
worldwide (mostly on line) that might be useful/helpful in these broad
areas.  Some are fairly obvious, but other (like Ptolemy) we are
unlikely to stumble onto.

So, questions – first, is anyone else already doing this?

Second, can you send me URLs for activities, products, companies,
research projects that you think might have something to contribute to
the SEEK effort?  It would be especially helpful to get ones that we are
less likely to encounter with web searches, or activities that may not,
on the surface, appear to be appropriate (again, like Ptolemy).

After we start to get a handle on this, we plan to set up a simple
web-based registry where people can register their efforts (i.e., let
others know what they are doing) by filling in a few simple fields, as
follows:

What element of the data stream do you focus on (plus
What other nodes does it plug into/rely on
URL
Contact Person
Products
Location of lead + collaborators

Can you think of any other questions that should be added (we want this
very quick and simple)?

Of course, when we get results we’ll let you know what we find.

Thanks,  Jim

--

        *** Check the NCEAS Web Site - http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu ***

        O. J. Reichman                  Dept. of Ecology, Evolution
        NCEAS                                 and Marine Biology
        735 State Street Suite 300      UC - Santa Barbara
        Santa Barbara, CA  93101        Santa Barbara, CA  93106
        (805) 892-2504
        reichman at nceas.ucsb.edu
        FAX (805) 892-2510