[seek-web] discussing the Seek Web site and related tools

Steve Tekell stekell at lternet.edu
Fri Feb 13 15:07:50 PST 2004

Hello,

I am the new guy - Senior Web Designer for the seek web site.

I am open to discussing the Seek web site and related web tools.
I am lookin for any input and opinions about the site (it's future that
is).  I am trying to get a grip on what the needs and requirements are.
I don't won't to hastily put and support up tools which don't fit the
actual needs.  For example, you wouldn't want to try to cram a training
course into a sequence of new articles, just because I put up a portal
with no appropriate CMS for training.

What are the use cases for the seek web site?

Who will want to contribute content?
How would these people want to contribute, author content?

What is the nature of the content?
-- so far I get that in falls into a few separate categories
       EOT - education, outreach and training
        Basic public communication about the project (maybe just facet
of EOT?)
       "Internal" Site - for the seek community (collaboration,
communication,...)
       Application Portal - web portal to the yet to be build seek
applications (EcoGrid, etc).
    but after that, it's too vague.

Beyond "content" what kind of functionality is needed?
(Wiki, forums, blogs, news, etc)

What are the most immediate needs?

If there are other web developers on this list, I'd like to hear what
you are doing, where and with what tools/technologies.   I know the Seek
team has set it's goal to stick with free/open (FLOSS) solutions that
also meet any multi-platform needs.  Sounds great to me, my programming
background is in Java/J2EE using things like Struts, Hibernate, and
other open source Java toolkits.

Steve Tekell