[seek-taxon] TCS help: Placeholder question

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Mon Nov 28 12:18:54 PST 2005

Robert,

What do you recommend that we use for specimen and and for reference?  I
am inclined to think that we should default to abcd for specimens, and to
EML for references.

Bob

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Robert Gales wrote:

> Hi Xianhua,
>
> The Placeholder class is xsd:any/xsd:anyAttribute with ##any namespace.  This
> means that you can plug in elements from any namespace or even no namespace.
>
> For example with SpecimenItem:
>
> <SpecimenItem identifier="cn55">
>  <DataSets xmlns="http://www.tdwg.org/schemas/abcd/2.06">
>     <Unit>
>       <UnitId>cn55</abcd:UnitID>
>     </Unit>
>  </DataSets>
> </SpecimenItem>
>
> or...
>
> <SpecimenItem identifier="cn55">
>  <CatalogNumber>55</CatalogNumber>
>  <Locality>5 mi west of Lawrence</Locality>
>  <State>Kansas</State>
>  <County>Douglas</County>
>  <Country>United States</Country>
> </SpecimenItem>
>
> - Rob
>
> Robert Liu wrote:
>>
>> Jessie & Robert:
>>  I am trying to convert data into TCS 1.01 and am not sure how to handle
>> the Class Placeholder. Several elements in TCS are defined as class
>> Placeholder, such as CharacterCircumscription, Specimen-Collection. I
>> wonder how to extend Placeholder to incorperate detail information for each
>> specific element. Thanks.
>>  Xianhua

>> *Yahoo! Personals*
>> Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet.
>> Lot's of someone's, actually. Yahoo! Personals
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=36108/*http://personals.yahoo.com >

  Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
  Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
  University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
  Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

              http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/