[seek-taxon] question on search taxonic info

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 30 12:02:00 PDT 2005

Hi Laura:

One format that is certainly often used and among the more comprehensive
ones is IPNI's query - see http://www.ipni.org/ipni/query_ipni.html. I
think that's fairly traditional. APNI is more concept friendly:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/apni. Most of this you can reduce to Name
(Canis), possibly Name Author (L.), Rank (Genus), and AccordingTo (sec.
L. 1758). As Bob mentioned as well, the AccordingTo is an important part
of the new research and resolution services we're envisioning. More
fields will yield more capabilities but at least the three (Name, Rank,
AccTo) are in my view indispensable for now.

Best,

Nico

*Nico M. Franz, Ph.D.
*Postdoctoral Research Fellow
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
MSB, Room # 3411, University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150

Phone: (805) 893-5934; Fax: (805) 893-8062; E-mail: franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Website: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/~franz/
<http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/%7Efranz/>