[SEEK-Taxon] relationship types

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 28 16:17:56 PDT 2004

Hi all:

    thinking about our upcoming call, I'm wondering: can we capture "status
assignments" well enough? For names ("translated" by the exchange schema
into not-so-well defined concepts), I'm assuming the way to do it is by
using the relationship assertions; specifically the options from the
nomenclatural relationships list. So then if someone asserts that concept A
is a synonym of concept B, it is clear which concept that someone accepts
(B) and rejects (A). Is it possible though for an authority to simply
accept or reject a name/poorly defined concept without having to cite
another one?

    In the case of well defined concepts, I couldn't locate any structure
saying "author X accepts concept A". I can think of a number of reasons why
such "taking of a position" might be useful (e.g. assume an authoritative
position without having to author concepts or relationships; mostly
accepting previous concepts and previous relationships with only slight
modifications, crediting or discrediting a previous effort, etc.).

    In recent discussions at KU we thought that even though the possibility
of dividing every authoritative view into its smallest separate atomic
units is necessary for data management and efficient exchange, the real
justification for using e.g. GUIDs will come from the subsequent and
dynamic reconnecting and reusing of these units in various (non-/taxonomic)
contexts. That's at least how it seems to work with electronic publications
labeled through DOI. It's all about the reusing...

    It's probably less critical to know that everyone thinks something
slightly different about nature. We already sort of know that anyway. No
two persons' notions of "table" are identical either - down to the last
atom. That's a degree of vagueness we live with happily, most of the time.
What's critical, and will make up the value of concepts + GUIDs, is
fostering a culture in which taxonomic agreement can be expressed and
reconfirmed over time and across authors. Status assignments could turn out
to be very important in this context, even if they introduce more vagueness
than the best imaginable concept practice.

    In fact status assignments could build somewhat of a bridge between
names and concepts. Each individual revision will necessary "end" at some
point up or down the tree, and run into the "problem" of not wanting to
author concepts at still higher or still lower levels. Status assignments
cut specify those "cut-off" points where an author refers to a previous
concept for further detail. That's still superior to just citing a name, or
facing the "bubble up & down" effects and having to author or relate
concepts at levels beyond one's expertise.

    I'm not trying to throw bombs here but would like us to think about
this (look e.g. at VegBank) and maybe be prepared to talk about status
assignments on Thursday or for TDWG in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Nico

Nico M. Franz
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
735 State Street, Suite 300
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Phone: (805) 966-1677; Fax: (805) 892-2510; E-mail: franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Website: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/~franz/