[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LinneanCore Group Work

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Nov 12 14:45:32 PST 2004

Hi Nico,

> Question 1:
> would the "Hypoleschus atratus Fall is now a synonym of
> Phyllotrox atratus (Fall)" statement qualify as a strictly
> nomenclatural procedure? Please (Rich/Jessie/others)
> answer yes/no, and/or explain.

It depends on definition of concept (not the defition of
the concpet of  H. atratus and P. atratus).
If a concept definition depends on hierarchy, the answer is no,
because replacement of the concept in a hierarchy changes the
concept.
If a concept is defined independently from a hierarchy,
e.g. defined a circumscription distinguishing the concept
from any other part of the world, then answer is yes.
If replacement of H. atratus to Phyllotrox does not affect
complete circumscription (distinguishing it from not only
other species in the seme genus but all other part of the
world), then the replacement does not affect on concept of
H./P. atratus, and hence change of H. atratus to P. atratus
is nomenclatural.  Does the replacement affect on complete
circumscription on Phyllotrox, e.g. removal of a character
state distinguishg Phyllotrox from Hypoleschus?  If yes,
the procedure affects on concept of Phyllotrox, but not
on H./P. atratus.  Therefore, it is strictly nomenclatural
for H./P. atratus but unnecessary for Phyllotrox.  One action
has two facets, one nomenclatural and another conceptual.
It is inevitalbe because a name is inferface between intent and
extent of a concept.  It is another reason why I proposed yet another
TCS at TDWG 2004.
Note: difference between LC and TCS is name-string or name
(relationship between name-string and named-object), rather
than nomenclatural or conceptural in my understanding.
It is technical one, not philosophical.

> Question 2:
It is nomenclatural... isn't it?

> So far as I can see, I agree with Jessie's
> view that there should be no instances of names used in taxonomic
> publications without a "sec."

Name-string, which is not a name anymore, however, can be shared
by these names with sec.

JMS
--
Dr. Nozomi "James" Ytow
Institute of Biological Sciences / Gene research center