[SEEK-Taxon] Thoughts on GUIDs

Nico M. Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu May 27 16:18:42 PDT 2004

Hi there:

    I very much appreciate the comment.

    Berendsohn et al. (2003) have actually CHANGED the annotation system
that the moss data authors (2000) used. In what I can only describe as an
instantaneous reversal back to the Teutonic way ("Hope I'm funny!" - R.
Pryor, 1975), the latter used a version of the "><" symbol (i.e. to
indicate concept overlap, I suppose "interference" in set-theory speak)
that may be part of a locally used scientific text program, but so far as I
could tell isn't part of the Uni-Code, much less any standard package like
MSWord. If interested you can see it here, bottom figures:
http://tekka.nceas.ucsb.edu:8080/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=MossesAndConceptSynonymy
I can see that they did this to have the difference of name vs. concept
synonymies hard-coded in the symbols, but that means essentially that
nobody else can participate.

    Berendsohn et al. (2003) changed this to the standard symbols for naive
set theory. I actually wouldn't know how to insert THOSE in this e-mail
either, although my MSWord has them. Å - now I pasted one in from Word,
looks nothing like the circle with a cross inside, so there.

    So I'd contend that we need a system of annotation symbols that can be
used widely, and included in "standard" software programs that taxonomists
use to write their papers. We may have a table of corresponding equivalency
symbols for those who possess fancier text editing tools. If we provide the
software for doing annotations, we can use set theory language too. But in
my view any regular user should already have the necessary symbol set on
their hard drive.

    Though I'm not sure we have to - "logically." In fact I suppose those
set theory symbols do derive from logic, which in some stricter sense deals
with analytical issues, meaning removed from the world (analytic, not
synthetic). In that sense there are no "logical" connections between
concepts, because taxonomy is a gradual language-world matching process.
Thus the meaning of anything can't just be stipulated (deductively), it
must be inferred. So for the purist, using set theory symbols for induction
is like using the term "ontology" in computer science - clearly a new
evolutionary (mis?)step.

    That totally gratuitous excursion aside, if there's a commendable
overview somewhere of how equivalence relations are expressed in various
(or just one important) discipline(s), I'd be very interested in such a
reference. Might be just a decent textbook.

Cheers,

Nico