[SEEK-Taxon] tomorrow's conference call

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 04:04:16 PDT 2004

Hi Guys

Can I request that all of us on the conference call have access to a computer so that we can discuss the schemas more easily - lack of machines made this difficult last time.

We have had a look at the TES schema posted by Robert and have a few questions/comments which we will discuss tomorrow however I think we need to clarify from the outset whether we are discussing the SEEK taxon concept database schema or a proposal to change the Taxonomic concept exchange schema which we are putting to TDWG.

I know Dave V asked me whether the TDWG was the same as the Napier schema as the SEEK schema to which I replied they are all the same - and which at the time I believed they were. It seems now looking at this proposal that there are SEEK/DB specific issues in it then maybe we are now starting to separate the transfer schema from the implementation schema and we need to be clear about whether or not they are different and if they are ensure that they remain compatible but understand why and where they are different.

It would also be useful to know the reasoning behind the changes as we thought we had explained why the existing schema shouldn't have caused a problem during the last conference call - but maybe didn't?

We have been working on other issues and options for the transfer schema which are on the wiki page some of which we will likely incorporate and others not.

speak to you tomorrow....

Jessie

Prof. Jessie B Kennedy
School of Computing
Napier University
Merchiston Campus
10 Colinton Road	tel:	+44 (0)131-455-2772
Edinburgh		fax:   	+44 (0)131-455-2727
EH10 5DT		mobile:	07974948703
Scotland		email: j.kennedy at napier.ac.uk