[SEEK-Taxon] Text Extraction Again (from Taxonomic e-text)

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Fri Jan 23 09:23:17 PST 2004

Does anyone have information on recent attempts to use text extraction
software on taxonomic e-texts and databases for the purposes of
extracting taxonomic names or other taxon attribute data?

I recall there was an Australian project 2-3 years ago, that has some
success extracting names and character data for the purpose of
automating diagnostic key construction.

We are interested in the possibility of using data extraction techniques
to populate prototype taxon concept databases we are building for our
semantic web "SEEK" Project.  http://seek.ecoinformatics.org.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks,

Jim B.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center
University of Kansas