[SEEK-Taxon] RE: call tomorrow

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Mon Dec 20 14:53:58 PST 2004

Bill and Matt:

I had a 30 minute call with Laura Downey this morning, re SEEK-Taxon and
usability engineering.

We clarified some issues wrt to SEEK Taxon application development
priorities.  She thought that Jessie's classification visualization
tools were her target for usability input and expertise but they are
not.

 What SEEK-Taxon needs and now and will be focusing on are applications
to engage the taxonomic concept data source providers for acquiring
detailed concept data, the lack of availability of that data is the
single bottleneck we now face.  Without well-qualified taxonomic concept
data in the TOS and TCS schema, we will be unable to test and
demonstrate our infrastructure (the schema and web service apps, etc.)
for SEEK case studies and for other more general uses.

Bob Peet and Nico Franz recently posted a wish list on the S-T wiki
pages of applications of relevance here, but S-T needs more
substantiation and verification from the user community in the way of
usability engineering and user interactions to establish any of these
proposed applications (and all of their implicit and under described)
functions as development priorities and tasks.  Laura and I discussed
the process for doing that and she indicated she was interested in
becoming intellectually involved in structuring that process for S-T.

I asked Laura if she could help plan, structure and participate in our
Feb 15-17 meeting at NCEAS which will be largely aimed at this issue,
and also consider a trip to Lawrence to advise us generally on usability
issues for a day or two.

I would appreciate your support of her engagement with SEEK-TAXON with
the new year.

Jim B.
James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center