[SEEK-Taxon] some notes on digital object identifiers

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 02:49:53 PST 2003

Hi Jim

I guess I'm not really thinking about strategic questions at the moment, I
think that firstly we have to find a mechanism to handle concepts that is
acceptable and that allows us to reason about the similarity of concepts
first of all. Of course concepts will have unique ids in our system but
whether or not we use GSH or DOIs is not initially so important. When we get
a good meachanism for doing what we want, then I think we can decide on
which kind of id we opt for. I think we suggested that in SEEK we would not
see us as being the long term provider of a taxonomic concept service
(agreed?), but that we are developing a prototype to show the potential, so
maybe it's not the most important issue for us but will be for whomever will
be the group/organisation that does provide such a service long term.

I still think it is interesting to think about and dicsuss the pros and cons
of the different approaches as you have started it's only that I think it's
secondary to getting the cocnept resolution server issues sorted. Once we
can demonstrate it in the SEEK environement we can then dicsuss the issues
more widely and come to a better conclusion. If we need to use GSH to get
things working in SEEK then also I think we have to go that route. I guess
Matt has the best idea here of how much scope there is for different
approaches and should guide us there.

So I'm interested but not active on this.......

Jessie