[seek-taxon] Re: FW: Octopus proposal

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 9 08:36:00 PST 2003

Jim,

SEEK should just go ahead and try to collaborate with these folks.  I
think they are addressing a similar need, if not the same one.  I think
they sidestepped the concept-based taxonomy issue in their proposal --
it wasn't clear if they were going to address it or not.

I see five major efforts to make the various parts of a taxonomy name
exchange format and lookup service:

   1) SEEK
   2) FGDC BDWG Taxonomy and Nomenclature standard
   3) Octopus
   4) TDWG
   5) ITIS

Maybe there are more? Most are not particularly active, or in the
formative stages.  I think we should try as hard as possible to build
concensus around a single system.  This could take a long time, but is
well worth the effort.

I can talk to Sandy Andelman about the CI software.  She has a lot of
contacts there. I'll get back to you.

Matt

Beach, James H wrote:
> Matt --
>
> This might be if interest to you.  Please email me any reaction you might
> have.  Going into Sylvia's program Monday from ATCC. I will write a letter
> of collaboration to Lois today on behalf of the seek project.  She asked me
> for that.  No harm.
>
> Know about the CI software at all?

[snip]

Matt Jones                                    jones at nceas.ucsb.edu