[seek-taxon] continuation of work following the meeting in Washington DC

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 09:22:14 PST 2003

Dear All,

At the Taxonomic sub-group meeting held in Washington DC we began the
formulation of the:
Scope
Functional requirements
Use cases
Software components
for the Taxonomic Working group and set ourselves some actions for the
coming year.

I noticed that the document (minutes) that Dave Vieglas generated is not
available for people to see on the SEEK www site (or I couldn't see it)
although it is still accessible at http://dv2.dyndns.info/seek/

I was wondering if there had been any progress with the Use Cases - are we
happy that this is complete or do we want to try and do more work on this
document before the PIs meeting in New Mexico ? (Jessie and Bob won't be
there sorry)

Also I would like to try to get some agreement on how to progress with
looking at the commonality between existing concept based taxonomic models.

I think the first thing we need to decide is which models we want to
consider, then to look at how we go about the comparison, then divide the
work between us and then come together to share and discuss our evaluations.
It would be sensible if we all had one system in common with which we all
understood the concepts used in their models and from which we could use to
compare to the other models we are considering.

Do you all agree with this?

If so maybe we could start making our list of favourite models that should
be considered and then agree on a final list.
Is there a particular mechanism we should use to compile this list?

Dave (Vieglas) do you know what GBIF are doing in this area? are they
working on a common transfer model or set of services they would expect a
taxonomic server to support? If so can we see where there are up to so we
can keep in line with their opinions?

Finally are we going to expand the Use Cases we have listed and if so who is
going to do this?

Speak to you soon,

Jessie

Prof. Jessie B Kennedy
School of Computing
Napier University
Merchiston Campus
10 Colinton Road		tel:	+44 (0)131-455-2772
Edinburgh			fax:   	+44 (0)131-455-2727
EH10 5DT			mobile:	07974948703
Scotland			email: 	j.kennedy at napier.ac.uk