[seek-taxon] RE: Taxonomic concept service SEEK

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:48:07 PDT 2003

Hannu --

We're delighted you've considered and accepted our invitation to join the
SEEK Project Taxon working group.  It will be productive and inspiring, to
have your input.  Let me send you some SEEK meeting information right away,
before I leave the office for three days, so that you might start in on your
travel arrangements and logistics for the May meeting.

First, the SEEK Project web site is currently at:
http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/.  You will see under meetings there, the
schedule for the Taxon and Classification working group meeting, it will be
held, May 13-14-15.  You are welcome to sit on the other WG meetings, they
will also be small, roll-up-your-sleeves, working meetings.

Second, For travel logistics support, Bertram Ludaescher from the San Diego
Supercomputer Center is making arrangements.  I will ask him here to add
your name to the rooming list at the Residence Inn in La Jolla, California,
for the nights of May 12-16, you can adjust those if you need to.  Bertram
or Nancy Jensen from SDSC will confirm that you are on the list.  You will
need to contact the  hotel with your credit card information to hold the
room by the end of the month.  See the logistics information in the material
below.

Bill Michener in New Mexico will add you to the Rio Grande travel agent call
list if you want to have your air travel tickets handled by them.  They will
bill the SEEK project directly that way, saving you the trouble of fronting
the cash amount.  Or we can reimburse you after the trip if you buy your own
tickets.  I think you may have to fly U.S. airlines as the travel money is
US National Science Foundation funds--and our airlines are going broke!

Third, for a quick update on the material we will discuss (as a small group)
at the Taxon WG meeting, look at http://speciesanalyst.net/seek at the item:
Notes from 17 April 2003 SEEK Taxon WG Teleconference.  You will note in
that doc, the agenda and premeeting action items for the Taxon WG.

Please feel free to add comments and suggestions to the January 30 document
there which is a draft of the functional requirements and use cases.  Feel
free to add lines in the Wiki document on key technical and usage points
that you think need to be on the agenda for the Taxon working group.

All of the other WG members are charged with editing and updating that
collaborative document before the WG meeting.

I need to run, but will be back in the office next Monday and Tuesday.  If
you have any questions about the agenda and content, e-mail:
seek-taxon at ecoinformatics.org.  Questions about logistics to Nancy Jensen
and Bill Michener whose e-mail addresses are above.

One more thing we have a  pre-meeting teleconference scheduled for Tuesday,
10AM US Central Daylight time on May 6.  Please join us if you can for that
we will send out the call in information, before then.

I will also add you to the SEEK-taxon mailing list now, you will be able to
adjust your mail delivery options from the site - it will send you the
necessary URL and config info.

Great to have you along in this, we're looking forward to a productive and
fun five years.

Sincerely,

Jim B.

====== original SEEK meeting logistics e-mail   =====

Dear SEEK contributors:

The SEEK Technical meeting May 10-16th in San Diego is around the corner.
Here is what you need to know to make travel arrangements etc.

----------------------
1. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
----------------------

Participants may either...

1.1 Contact *Tracey*, *Rita* or *Delores* at
		   --------------------------------
			  Rio Grande Travel
			phone: 1-505-768-7979
		      toll-free: 1-800-283-5219
		   --------------------------------
to make travel (flight) arrangements and have them billed directly to the
LTER Network office, or ...

1.2 Alternatively, participants may make their own arrangements and request
reimbursement from UNM after the meeting.

If travel is not by air, reimbursement for expenses incurred may not exceed
the cost the traveler would have otherwise incurred if the traveler had
flown. Use of a personal automobile will be reimbursed at the standard
mileage rate authorized by the New Mexico State Per Diem and Mileage Act.
The rate is currently twenty-five cents ($.25) per mile for each mile
traveled.

--------------------
2. HOTEL RESERVATION
--------------------
A block of rooms (at $119 UCSD rate each, plus tax) has been reserved
at the		    -----------------------------
			Residence Inn La Jolla
			  8901 Gilman Drive
			  La Jolla, CA 92037
			Phone: 1 858-587-1770
			 Fax: 1 858-552-0387
		      Toll Free: 1 800-876-1778
		    -----------------------------

Participants need to **CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY** and confirm their
reservation! When you call, ask for *AARON*, extension 458, and mention the
SEEK (SDSC) reservation.

Please do this at your earliest convenience, and no later than
April 30th (the cut-off date set by the hotel).

For further details on the hotel, see:
    http://www.marriott.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=LAJCA

-----------------------
3. LOCAL TRANSPORTATION
-----------------------
HOTEL <-> MEETING:
If you plan to rent a car and would like to offer car-pooling between the
hotel and SDSC, please send me email with the number of participants you
could take and for what dates you could offer those rides.
(If all else fails, there is also the environmentally friendly way, i.e.
walking between the hotel and the meeting rooms on UCSD campus--should be
ca. 35 min).

AIRPORT <-> HOTEL: Cloud-9 shuttle should be ca. $10 between San Diego
airport and the Residence Inn.

-----------------
4. MEETING AGENDA
-----------------

Please check (and keep re-checking) the meeting web page
       http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/meetings/dev-20030510/
for details on the meeting agenda as it evolves.

--------------------
5. FURTHER QUESTIONS
--------------------
If you have further questions, please send email to

    Bertram Ludaescher <ludaesch at sdsc.edu>,
    Nancy Jensen <jensenn at sdsc.edu>

and we will answer you asap.

Cheers, and see you soon in San Diego!