[seek-logistics] Last Call for Hotel Reservations: SEEK Fall 2004 All Hands Meeting

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Sun Sep 26 14:47:09 PDT 2004

SEEKsters:

1) The Springhill Suites deadline for holding SEEK rooms is October 4th,
after that try Orbitz.com.

2) Please e-mail Lori Schlenker now, if you have diet restrictions.

3) Please e-mail Lori now if you plan to rent a car, so that she may
purchase a campus parking permit you.  You will not be able to do this
after you arrive.  It is an easy 8 block walk to the campus from the
hotel, but some of you will likely rent cars.  We'll need 1-2 cars to
shuttle people on Thursday of the meeting to our second meeting venue on
the west campus.

4) Please e-mail Lori now with your travel itinerary, so that she may
schedule and reserve your Kansas City International Airport-to-Lawrence
shuttle seat.

The draft agenda and various Lawrence links are available at:
http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp?page=AnnualMeetingAgendaNovember
2004
<http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp?page=AnnualMeetingAgendaNovembe
r2004>

[See logistics details below.]

[Resend of 8/18/04 Message]

Attendees to the SEEK Meeting at KU this November:

1) Don't forget to arrange for an absentee or early ballot for the
November election if you intend to vote.

2) For air travel tickets, here are the usual arrangements from Bill
Michener:

Please call Rio Grande Travel 1-800-778-6861 or 505/768-7999 as soon as
possible and ask for a UNM Representative. You may also contact the
following representatives directly for assistance: Rita Ortiz at
RitaO at RGTravel.com or Tracey Fria at TraceyF at RGTravel.com. Tell the
agent that the LTER Network Office at UNM (contact: Pam Griego) is
paying for your ticket. If you have any other problems, please e-mail
the manager, Doris Phillips, DorisP at RGTravel.com with a copy to
pgriego at LTERnet.edu. Once you have made and approved your reservation,
Rio Grande will forward the itinerary to the Network Office, which will
pay for the ticket.

If you wish to purchase the airline ticket yourself, please e-mail Pam
Griego your arrival/departure dates/times, flight number and the amount
of the ticket. Reimbursement for the ticket will be made after the
meeting.

If Rio Grande does not have your name in advance they will need it sent
to them by Pam Griego at UNM (pgriego at lternet.edu). As usual, you can
make your own reservations and be reimbursed later--using cheap US coach
fares...

  _____

[Resend of message sent on 30 July 2004]

	Dear SEEK Colleague:

	We look forward to seeing you here for the SEEK All-Hands
Meeting at the University of Kansas, on Nov. 2nd (Tuesday) through Nov.
5th (Friday), 2004.  Please note that November 2 is Election Day in the
U.S. If you intend to vote and you don't live in Kansas, you will need
to arrange for an absentee or early voting ballot in your home state. We
will try to do something special for the group for viewing the national
results Tuesday evening.

	The overall meeting will begin on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM and
end on Friday afternoon at 3:30 PM.  It will be held in several rooms in
the University of Kansas Student Union <http://www.jayhawks.com/union/>
, our campus meeting facility.

	The following information is provided so you may make travel and
hotel reservations.  You are encouraged to make these as soon as
possible.

	Airline Reservations

	Please make airline reservations to arrive at Kansas City's
International Airport (MCI) on Monday, November 1 (afternoon or evening)
and to depart Friday, November 5 (after 5:30 p.m.) or Saturday, November
6 (anytime). We do not have hotel rooms reserved for SEEK for Friday
night (see below).  Please check ASAP on your travel options to
determine if you need a room reservation for Friday

	Send a copy of your travel itinerary to Lori Schlenker,
lschlenk at ku.edu and airport transportation will be arranged.

	Airport-Lawrence-Airport Shuttle

	As soon as we learn all airline arrival and departure times for
workshop participants, we will schedule shuttle pickups for November 1
and drop-offs for November 5.  We will let each of you know the shuttle
arrangements in a forthcoming message.  If you will be renting a car,
please let Lori Schlenker know that you will be arriving on your own.
The airport is approximately 50 miles from Lawrence. Directions can be
provided upon requested.

	Lodging

	A block of rooms has been reserved for participants at the
Marriott Spring Hill Suites
<http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/LWCKS> , 6th and New
Hampshire, in downtown Lawrence.  Please contact the Spring Hill Suites
at (785) 841-2700 no later than October 4, 2004 and ask for the KU
Natural History Museum/SEEK Project group room reservation. The rate
will be $75 per night plus state and local taxes (currently 11.4 %).
After this date, reservations will be made on a space availability basis
only and a higher rate may apply.  Rooms are reserved from Monday
through Thursday evening.  There are no rooms available on Friday night
due to a KU football game.  If your flight does not leave until
Saturday, the shuttle will take you to an airport hotel.  Please let
Lori Schlenker know if you will need accommodations near the airport on
Friday evening. A list of hotels with airport shuttle service will be
provided upon request.

	Sources of Local Information

	http://www.ljworld.com/ <http://www.ljworld.com/>   Our local
newspaper.

	http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/
<http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/>   The weather forecast.

	http://www2.lawrence.com/events/search/
<http://www2.lawrence.com/events/search/>   Local events calendar.

	If you have any questions, please email Lori Schlenker at
lschlenk at ku.edu <mailto:lschlenk at ku.edu> .  We look forward to your
participation in the meetings in November.