[seek-logistics] SEEK: Kansas Fall 2004 All Hands Meeting Logistics

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Wed Sep 8 15:15:49 PDT 2004

[Resend of message sent on 30 July 2004]

Dear SEEK Colleague:

We look forward to seeing you here for the SEEK All-Hands Meeting at the
University of Kansas, on Nov. 2nd (Tuesday) through Nov. 5th (Friday),
2004.  Please note that November 2 is Election Day in the U.S. If you
intend to vote and you don't live in Kansas, you will need to arrange
for an absentee or early voting ballot in your home state. We will try
to do something special for the group for viewing the national results
Tuesday evening.

The overall meeting will begin on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM and end on
Friday afternoon at 3:30 PM.  It will be held in several rooms in the
University of Kansas Student Union <http://www.jayhawks.com/union/> ,
our campus meeting facility.

The following information is provided so you may make travel and hotel
reservations.  You are encouraged to make these as soon as possible.

Airline Reservations

Please make airline reservations to arrive at Kansas City's
International Airport (MCI) on Monday, November 1 (afternoon or evening)
and to depart Friday, November 5 (after 5:30 p.m.) or Saturday, November
6 (anytime). We do not have hotel rooms reserved for SEEK for Friday
night (see below).  Please check ASAP on your travel options to
determine if you need a room reservation for Friday

Send a copy of your travel itinerary to Lori Schlenker, lschlenk at ku.edu
and airport transportation will be arranged.

Airport-Lawrence-Airport Shuttle

As soon as we learn all airline arrival and departure times for workshop
participants, we will schedule shuttle pickups for November 1 and
drop-offs for November 5.  We will let each of you know the shuttle
arrangements in a forthcoming message.  If you will be renting a car,
please let Lori Schlenker know that you will be arriving on your own.
The airport is approximately 50 miles from Lawrence. Directions can be
provided upon requested.

Lodging

A block of rooms has been reserved for participants at the Marriott
Spring Hill Suites <http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/LWCKS> ,
6th and New Hampshire, in downtown Lawrence.  Please contact the Spring
Hill Suites at (785) 841-2700 no later than October 4, 2004 and ask for
the KU Natural History Museum/SEEK Project group room reservation. The
rate will be $75 per night plus state and local taxes (currently 11.4
%).  After this date, reservations will be made on a space availability
basis only and a higher rate may apply.  Rooms are reserved from Monday
through Thursday evening.  There are no rooms available on Friday night
due to a KU football game.  If your flight does not leave until
Saturday, the shuttle will take you to an airport hotel.  Please let
Lori Schlenker know if you will need accommodations near the airport on
Friday evening. A list of hotels with airport shuttle service will be
provided upon request.

Sources of Local Information

http://www.ljworld.com/ <http://www.ljworld.com/>   Our local newspaper.

http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/
<http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/>   The weather forecast.

http://www2.lawrence.com/events/search/
<http://www2.lawrence.com/events/search/>   Local events calendar.

If you have any questions, please email Lori Schlenker at
lschlenk at ku.edu <mailto:lschlenk at ku.edu> .  We look forward to your
participation in the meetings in November.

Sincerely,

Jim B.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center