[seek-kr] ontology figure from abq

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:31:26 PDT 2003

MJ> Bertram,
MJ> Yes, dimensional analysis is the correct term for the manipulation of
MJ> unit types from STMML.  Its all simple algebra, and is generally taught
MJ> early on (I think I first learned it in high school in chemistry). I
MJ> don't understand how you plan on 'extending' what Shawn did because what
MJ> he did is already dimensional analysis.  What am I missing here?

A lot ;-)

There is the dimensional analysis you learnt (and so did I) in high
school (btw: I learnt it in Physics as a means to "double check" and
sometimes "second guess" equations).

However, you didn't check out carefully the references I sent, in
particular to the Buckingham theorem. Actually, it's my fault: I
should have sent you all refs I found.

So did you do THIS in high school? ;-)
	http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/notes/buckingham/buckingham-a4.pdf
Here is where this is from:
	http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/notes/buckingham/

This theorem is used in the *real men's* dimensional analysis ;-)

Check out these references:

	http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=384101.384129

    DIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS IN COMPUTER ALGEBRA
    The goal of this paper is to demonstrate the introduction of
    dimensional variables as well as the applications of dimensional
    analysis in Computer Algebra system (Mathematica). The package
    Dimensional Analysis developed by author uses nondimensionalization
    based on Pi-theorem to simplify equations and to reduce the number of
    parameters when the governing equations are not known. The package
    contains symbols, dimensional formulae and units for principal
    physical quantities, as well as a number of named dimensionless
    parameters. Another important feature of the package is its ability to
    check the dimensional homogeneity of the expressions. This package is
    aimed at helping researchers with the preliminary analysis of models
    and simplification of large-scale problems by using dimensionless
    parameters. The package can also be used in teaching.

And finally here is a toolbox for Matlab:
	http://www.sbrs.net/

None of this is high school material but maybe some of this could be
used to really add to the power of AMS/SMS.

But I'd like to have this double checked by you guys before we jump
into this.

Also let me know what you think about the book I sent a pointer to
(Numerical Ecology).

OK, I'll check out your refs later (in a meeting right now)

cheers

Bertram