[seek-kr-sms] [kepler-dev] Protege

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 2 14:38:05 PST 2007

Hi Rowland,

In Kepler, we have done some work in terms of organizing actors via
ontologies.  In particular, in Kepler, the "actor library" is generated
from multiple (simple) OWL ontologies and actor "semantic types" (i.e.,
simple actor annotations to ontology class terms).  The Kepler quick
search also takes advantage of these semantic types for finding actors
based on keywords.

We have also experimented a bit with annotating actor input and output
ports with ontology terms.  There is a simple GUI in Kepler for doing this
annotation, and it is possible to search for actors using these
input/output types, and also to check if actor connections "make sense"
semantically (i.e., according to ontology definitions).

At one point, we were interested in integrating Growl (an OWL editor)
into Kepler. Growl has been embedded, as an extension, into Protege.

-shawn