[seek-kr-sms] CALL FOR VOTE: web-archive of SEEK-KR-SMS list

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 16 09:37:53 PDT 2006

Dear all:

In order to encourage active and *un-self-censored* use of the
SEEK-KR-SMS mailing list, I propose to limit access to the
*web-archive* of the mailing list to mailing list members only.

The advantage is that list members can more openly discuss research
ideas and plans w/o risking to find those ideas and half-baked ideas
through "invasive" google searches.

I think there is no disadvantage:
- members can still browse the KR-SMS archive on the web
- any interested people can sign up to be members; there is currently
no restriction for sign-up (unless you are a Google-bot ;-)

Alternatively, we might have (yet another) mailing list, such as
'KR-SMS-members'. But I'd rather not have yet another mailing list..

So here is the vote:

[ ] I SUPPORT the change of the SEEK-KR-SMS web archive from
    (Google-) public to members-only (there are currently no
    restrictions on who can sign up for SEEK-KR-SMS)

[ ] I prefer a SEPARATE list for KR-SMS-members in addition to the
    current KR-SMS list

[ ] Leave everything AS IS (and just don't rant about W3C, don't talk
    about half-baked research ideas etc on this list)

[ ] NONE OF THE ABOVE, but rather ... <EXPLAIN> ...

Please email your vote to Mark Schildhauer (schild at nceas.ucsb.edu) and
myself (ludaesch at ucdavis.edu) by the end of next week (June 23rd).

thanks and cheers

Bertram

--
Bertram Ludaescher, Assoc. Professor
Dept of Computer Science & Genome Center
ludaesch at ucdavis.edu