[seek-kr-sms] OBOE clarifications and questions

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 16 09:01:48 PDT 2006

Kai:

Great to hear from you! I need to check out that reference more
carefully...  But I can already say that no matter what the W3C says,
there are mathematical truths that are above the W3C standardization
processes and that by their very nature will outlast W3C, the Web, the
life span of mankind, the biosphere (life on planet Earth), and maybe
the universe/multiverse itself (ok, I'm getting a bit more speculative
towards the end ;-)

If I want to relate n objects simultaneously, I can use, e.g., an
n-ary relation symbol R(A1,..., An), or I can use a first-order
formula with n free variables.

However, in general I can no longer decide satisfiability (and related
notions) in such first-order fragments.

I just came across the following very nice material that might shed
some light on this -- here are the slides:
    http://www-mgi.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~graedel/kalmar.pdf
(e.g. slide #53 shows how one can express the existence of a path of
length 17 in FO2, i.e., in FO w/ only two variables.

And here is the paper that apparently goes with the slides:
    http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/631148.html

enjoy!

Bertram