[seek-kr-sms] OBOE clarifications and questions

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 15 11:05:47 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Comments below ...

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Serguei Krivov wrote:

> 1. What is blue arrow labeled by capital C ? This certainly can not be
> property-value pair for property hasContext. You use green arrows for
> hasContext

I believe Josh was using the current version of OBOE, and not Ferdinando's
extended version.  Here, the blue arrow labeled C standards for
hasMeasuredCharacteristic --

In the current OBOE, observations are associated with Entities (i.e.,
things such as Frogs, Plants, etc.) and measurements are associated with
Characteristics (i.e., properties of things such as height, weight,
biomass, etc.)  An observation has zero or more associated measurements,
which are linked through the hasMeasuredCharacteristic link.

> 2.I believe that an observation that represent one row of any table should
> be a :CompoundObservation, that is an instance of CompoundObservation . And
> in that case some of those bluer arrows which are now labeled by C should be
> labeled as hasObservation. One row that contain 3 columns with data
> represent 3 observations that are related.

We don't currently have a separate definition for "CompoundObservation".
In my opinion we don't need one (see also below).  In the ontology, a
compound observation would just be an observation that is "composed"
(e.g., through context relations) of other observations -- but with no
additional "features".

Also, the blue arrows labeled C relate observations to measurements,
whereas the ones labeled "hasContext" are what I think you are referring
to (i.e., that form "compound observations").

> 3. In general I believe that the relation between columns should have
> different representation from representation of relation between rows.
> I think that property hasObservation of class CompoundObservation should be
> used to link different values stored in one row. The relation hasContext
> should be used to link the different rows of a table. Is anybody disagree
> with this?

I think this is too constraining.  I also think this is mixing in notions
of annotation with the ontology itself, which artificially and
unnecessarily limits the generality of oboe. By annotation, I mean the
specification of how dataset values correspond to ontology instances --
the mapping from dataset instances to ontology instances.

> 4. First I thought that for each table, a green arrow hasContext pointing
> upwards on the upper portion of each diagram supposed to link one row of
> respective table to another row. But then I noticed that it actually
> aggregates the subplot observation for a specific plot. How do we link then
> the rows of the tables that belong to different plots. This may be
> hierarchical perhaps.  May be we should use property hasContext to link
> aggregated object representing observation on plot.

Again, you are confusing annotation with the ontology itself. Only a
portion of the annotation is shown in Josh's diagram -- more information
is needed to see how the mapping is actually realized in the examples. I
think what Josh's examples are showing are essentially an "instantiation
template" for each row of the table (R1).

-shawn