[seek-kr-sms] Update on current and future activities

Joshua Madin madin at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 12 17:19:08 PDT 2006

Dear all,

The NSF site review last week seemed to go very well.  There were
several potential areas for improvement for the KR working group.
Generally, these were exposing our ontologies to the broader
community for comment, and publishing in ecological journals.

I think that our primary objective for the next few weeks should be
to finalize OBOE, so that we can then focus on domain extensions.
Before we do this, I'd like to draw your attention to several new
developments that need your attention before moving on.

XMML
When in Edinburgh, Shawn was pointed to another initiative for
describing observation and measurement.  It is an XML schema for
describing observation.  They have included some interesting points
that we do not capture, such as measurement procedure.  It would be
great to discuss this initiative, and to talk about ways it might
help us with OBOE.  Because I'm not great with XML Schema, I would
love to hear other peoples interpretation of the O&M work.  Here's
the link (just hit cancel if you're asked for a password):

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/Xmml/
ObservationsAndMeasurements?skin=print.pattern

Observation
In New Mexico last week Ferdinando showed me some alterations that he
had made to the observation ontology, to try and make it more
generic.  Even though there is "almost" a consensus on OBOE, I think
that it would be very healthy for us to review these changes and see
how they might improve what we already have.  I'll attach the
ontology to this email.  I'll also attach one of my flow diagrams;
although I haven't included all the properties because of crowding
issues.

PUBLISHING
One of the review team's criticisms was a lack of publishing outside
of the CS realm.  I think that we can counter this criticism quickly
by publishing OBOE, and what it can do for ecology, in some high
profile journals.  We may want to think about a strategy where we can
publish aspects of OBOE separately.  For example, some of us could
target ecological journals, while others target informatics journals
or KR journals.

MEETING
We are planning to meet in July or August and it would be great if we
could all send dates that would suit us.  So far I have:

Mark -- July 20,21st  /  August, generally available
Ferdinando -- July 15 - 25th, late August
Josh -- Generally available
Serguei --
Deana --
Shawn --
Matt --
Corinna --
Others -- ??

I hope that we can find a good time for everyone.

Cheers,
Josh

PS. Corinna, I cc'd you because I wasn't sure if you had signed up
for the kr-sms mailing list yet.