[seek-kr-sms] From OBOE to EVO ..

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 13 09:16:16 PST 2006

Looking at the scope of OBOE, a kind of upper ontology for
observations and measurements, it just occurred to me that at some
point we should go to EVO (EVidence Ontology).

EVO would not only provide a framework for measurements but also for
other evidence (e.g. by simulation, by inference etc).

For example, GO has the following Evidence Codes:
(see http://www.geneontology.org/GO.evidence.shtml)

    # IC: Inferred by Curator
    # IDA: Inferred from Direct Assay
    # IEA: Inferred from Electronic Annotation
    # IEP: Inferred from Expression Pattern
    # IGI: Inferred from Genetic Interaction
    # IMP: Inferred from Mutant Phenotype
    # IPI: Inferred from Physical Interaction
    # ISS: Inferred from Sequence or Structural Similarity
    # NAS: Non-traceable Author Statement
    # ND: No biological Data available
    # RCA: inferred from Reviewed Computational Analysis
    # TAS: Traceable Author Statement
    # NR: Not Recorded

Clearly this is specific to genomics, but there is probably a need for
a more general framework / upper ontology for evidence codes.

cheers

Bertram

PS EVO would also allow to "tag" / annotate the "Science" being
propagated here: http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/
Quick: What is Truth-In-Science about??
A semantic tag (or a social tag a la DigIt) could help a lot...