[seek-kr-sms] OWL - taxonomy

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Fri Nov 4 10:46:04 PST 2005

Here is much more neat owlification for  Nico's description of genus
Cyclantura

Property hasMorphAncestor connect the species to what it was sometime ago.
It is inverse of what I earlier called geneticMutation (perhaps
hasGeneticVariation would be better???)

The first line is a clean intensive definition of genus Cyclantura as all
set of all individuals that have necessary set of morphological features
(Morph12, Morph25 and Morph27) plus those species whose all
morphological(genetic?) ancestors had all those features. This includes all
those known now and those that will be known in the future.

Second definition suggest that all ancestors of Cyclantura-pilosa (perhaps
ther is just one)  had that set of morphological features (Morph12, Morph25
and Morph27). Thus on account of this Cyclantura-pilosa is subclass of
Cyclantura (here we treat species as classes). If in future someone proves
that a species X has (direct) morphological ancestor with features described
by Morph12, Morph25 and Morph27 that X would come under genus Cyclantura.
In such formalization we do not even need those shadowy species , although
they could still be here and the last line stating that property
hasMorphAncestor is inverse of hasGeneticVariation (which  was
geneticMutation in my previous message)connects this formalization with one
I described earlier.

.just wanted to put   another idea on the table.

serguei