[seek-kr-sms] Über Sinn und Bedeutung

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Tue Nov 1 07:53:36 PST 2005

Regarding Nico's ostensive and intensive definitions: The division perhaps
goes back to Frege and everyone likely to have encountered synonyms of those
categories under different names. Here are the lists of synonyms for 3
vertexes of Frege triangle;

1. Expression, signifier, sign
2. Reference, referent, extension, denotation, nominatum, and designatum,
German: Bedeutung, Russian  : Extensionall
3. Meaning,    sense, meaning, intension, connotation, content
German: Sinn, Russian  : Intensionall

In OWL-DL we have TBox assertions and ABox assertion that roughly correspond
to Sinn and Bedeutung.

 All TBox assertions containing concept C describe meaning, Sinn (Frege), of
the concept C. They are intensive definitions in Nico's terminology.

All individual assertion related to concept C, that have form a:C describe
individuals of class  C , Bedeutung of C. They are (extensive) ostensive in
Nicos terminology.

Those who are interested in philosophical comments may have a look at short
wikkipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_and_reference

Tschuss,
serguei