[Fwd: Re: [seek-kr-sms] ontology/folder UI design in Kepler]

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:39:57 PST 2005

As someone new to the project, I'm still trying to understand which user
group we are designing for -- knowledge engineers, domain scientists, both,
or some hybrid of an ecologist with some ontological knowledge.  And the
next question is to what level we are trying to support the various tasks
these users might perform within Kepler.   Deana and I had a good discussion
this morning where she was catching me up on things and where she mentioned
that the KR-SMS team is still in the process of determining the target users
and associated tasks.  Until we have that information we can't really fully
design the ontology UI.

We could however, as I and others have mentioned, certainly incorporate some
"picking concepts" mechanism where we display the known concepts and allow
the user to select concepts to support the task of assigning concepts to
datasets and/or actors.  I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that Matt is
referring to something similar with his "browsing" terminology in his last
note and which we'll know more after he gets the wiki page up he referenced.

Later, after we have more information, it might be possible to supplement
that "concept selection" by offering some list of questions the user has to
answer in order to do their tagging.  We could even consider a wizard like
UI if we managed to formulate a basic set of questions, easily
understandable by domain scientists that could be translated to work
properly within a formal ontology.  But again, I would not see being able to
determine that set of questions until the KR-SMS team has hashed out their
target user group(s) and determined the kinds of tasks they would perform.
But in the interim, we could offer some hierarchical representation for
users to pick concepts from.

I noticed that Serguei has offered a set of questions based on the "tagging
task" for us to consider in trying to determine which kind of specific UI
(including metaphors) we might offer.  At first I thought he was offering
these as questions as something to translate into English ;-) for the users
to answer to help them do their annotations.  But Deana pointed out that was
not the case.

One quick question here, are we really thinking about letting users annotate
ports?  This seems to be a very very low level of annotation that I can't
see that many users doing.  Is this related to the data integration issue?

Back to Serguei's questions.... if I'm understanding them correctly (with
some help from Deana) basically he's asking does the user need to understand
all the complexity in the ontology.  And if so, then a tree representation
can't adequately communicate that complexity.  However, I think that the
complex graphs produced by the various ontology tools are certainly
difficult enough for experienced KE's to decipher, much less domain
scientists, even those with some ontological knowledge.  Ferdinando brought
up the issue of graphic extension philosophy as a means of trying to
simplify these complex graphs but after looking at those examples, I'm not
convinced they would be applicable to scientific ontologies -- especially
after talking with Deana about the nature of scientific ontologies.  Those
examples work because there are these easy binary groupings like man/woman
or mother/father etc in the family tree example, or small numbers of large
categories like chemical compounds falling into one broad category (nitrogen
compounds) with say 3 different kinds of processes to apply to them.

I think it might be possible to use the graphic extension philosophy a
little in a tree representation -- for example some symbol that indicates
that a concept is used in multiple places within the tree, with the option
of showing the various "neighborhoods" that a concept is used in. (Think
about an option that says show me all the occurrences of "concept X" and a
view of the tree being expanded one level above and below the various
occurrences of "concept x" with concept X highlighted and everything else in
the tree collapsed.  I also think we could support the operation of showing
the user other items that have been assigned a certain concept.  And we
might offer filtering and searching on the tree too.  Lots of these
suggestions support the notion that the user has an idea how they want to
classify something and only needs to see various pieces to make a decision.
Of course if the user wants to see the entire tree, we have to make that
available too.  And that is a tough problem lots of people seem still to be
working on -- visualization of large hierarchies.

Signed -- new kid on the block who has no problem with Shawn picking on her
-- she can take it. ;-)

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office