[seek-kr-sms] growl-paper

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Thu Jan 6 11:48:34 PST 2005

            Hi Jianting,
            I apologize  for the delayed response.

Mathematically, if A belongs to B then we can say that the intersection
of A and B EQUALS to A. I didn't see why equivalence relation can not be
used here, if we treat operation and parameter equally, not just
parameter along.

           You mean that if A is a subset of B then intersection of A
and B is equal to A. Yes, but still  A is not equal to B.
            A remains to be a subset of B. Similarly   OSTOOLS  is in no
way equivalent to COPY or FORMAT.

Now let's turn to programming issues. Suppose we have a bunch of such
relations (whether we call them equivalence  or overlap), how do we
retrieve them from database?. An application might be, take Web services
for example, if one is not available, Kepler might be able to suggest
another, based on the pre-stored relationship. I was thinking about
using Jena, but the representation might be too complex to do RDF query.
Any further suggestions?

       If we have in ontology the relation "overlaps" (I would still
look for better word) then it will transpire into set of triples:
       (X overlaps Y), where X and Y are instances of actors. Now if you
wish to retrive all actor instances that overlaps with some actor
(instance ) A then corresponding query in Jena's RDQL will be something
like:

SELECT ?x
WHERE(  ?x <your-namespace#overlaps> <your-namespace#A>)

Far more complex queries are possible of course. Here are the link to
RDQL documents:     http://www.hpl.hp.com/semweb/doc/tutorial/RDQL/

ciao,
serguei

Thanks a lot