[seek-kr-sms] growl-paper

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Mon Jan 3 07:20:35 PST 2005

 Hi Jianting,

Suppose there two systems and each of them has a (hierarchical)
classification of operations which sure can be expressed as ontology. If
operation O1 in system S1 is functionally equivalent to operation O2 in
system S2 with an additional input parameter. How would you express the
equivalence in OWL/RDF?
I may not really  understand this question correctly, so I will answer
on it by making a few  counter questions:

If we are expressing the  operations as ontology classes, then why cant
we  introduce a transitive  relation "equivalent-operation" and express
the equivalence as below???? (this require html mode on email client)

In this picture O2-Input class is a subclass of O1-Input which may take
care about an extra parameter.

On the other hand if we are using representation of processes as
properties (which may be compatible with the representation of them as
classes-see, pict bellow:)

then perhaps we  could simply  say that property O1 is a subproperty of
O2, can't we?????

Again I do not really understand your question, specifically the
following points:
1. If process/operation has an extra input parameter, how possibly we
could have equivalence here?  If we use word "equivalent" then the
underlying equivalence relation should be reflexive, symmetric and
transitive, but it does not seem to me that here it is  symmetric, since
there is extra input parameter. May be a "specification-of-process"  is
more appropriate then "equivalent-process"?

2. What are systems S1 and S2 - different ontologies???

Happy New Year!

serguei

Thanks

Jianting Zhang