[Fwd: Re: [seek-kr-sms] ontology/folder UI design in Kepler]

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Mon Feb 28 13:19:44 PST 2005

Additions to my last response that Matt just forwarded:

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that an ontology
expert/knowledge engineer is the person who should be responsible for
maintaining consistency within the ontology instead of us trying to design a
UI that takes a very complex task and tries to make it simple for regular
Kepler users that are not ontology experts.

We still need to offer a way for regular users to simply classify things,
but the action of actually putting something correctly into the ontology
really needs to be done by a knowledge engineer or ontology expert.

To that end I could see offering users that are not ontology experts just
the simple keyword/concept list to choose from.   This would be akin to
letting regular users "register" their new actors or concepts for data, but
things wouldn't go officially into the ontology until a knowledge engineer
had specifically placed them correctly.

We can:

1) consider some advanced feature within Kepler that a knowledge engineer
would use to do this, or

2) have the KE export the ontology, work with it in their tool of choice,
then import the "updated" ontology back into Kepler.

For the interim case, where the new actor is registered but not blessed by
the KE yet, we could indicate this in a couple of ways, some variation on
the visual appearance of a newly registered actor, or we could have a
"registered" folder that holds the new actors until they are correctly
placed within the ontology by the knowledge engineer.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office
Department of Biology, MSC03 2020