[seek-kr-sms] ontology/folder UI design in Kepler

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Sat Feb 26 19:15:29 PST 2005

Hi folks,

reading through the chat I was wondering that maybe something like
Serguei's idea of 'graphic extension' may be helpful here. Graphic
extension (I'm sure there's a better name) associate a fragment of
knowledge from an ontology with a particular display mode, graphic
symbol or whatever - e.g. different-looking arrows, folder icons, or
stock/flow symbols a' la Stella. Used within an interface that's capable
of handling them, they can be used to interface a conceptual model
tailored to a specific user to the actual ontology it uses, hiding its
complexities. Serguei has put some examples online, see e.g.

http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu/dmaps/tut42.html
http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu/dmaps/tut43.html

It's something we're planning to integrate into GrOWL, to build
generalized modeling environments where after you load the mapping (as
an OWL file) you can use domain-specific icons and create instances
whose actual OWL definition is more complex than it looks. Users see an
intuitive/familiar graphical depiction of their domains, but the machine
thinks OWL internally. E.g. this can be used to build Stella on top of
GrOWL, and have it output full OWL specifications of the models. I'm
leaving for a few days and writing this in a hurry - anyway, any chance
that this concept (as is or used with GrOWL) can help integrating KR
into Kepler? It could be used, for example, to help users define new
concepts that extend others in ways more complex than simple
subsumption, without having to properly link them to an ontology that
they have no chance of understanding well enough to do it right.

ciao,
ferdinando

--
Ferdinando Villa, Ph.D., Associate Research Professor, Ecoinformatics
Gund Institute for Ecological Economics and Dept of Botany, Univ. of Vermont