[seek-kr-sms] my emails on SWRL: lost images

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Sun Apr 24 08:52:53 PDT 2005

Bob Morris writes:

 > Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
 > > Of course the oldest and most widespread "XML syntax" is LISP...

I should have said "XML syntax that is not XML ..."

 > My colleague Bill Campbell refers to XML as "LISP with pointy brackets".

yes, indeed! The interesting thing about XML is certainly not the
syntax (but the  (semistructured) labeled, ordered trees model).

Similarly, the interesting thing about description logic is not the
OWL syntax but the abstract model framework and associated reasoning
capabilities.

But then again, when actually *programming* with these languages one
needs a concrete syntax. I just think that languages like SWRL, XML
Schema, XSLT, and others just went overboard with XML-ification for no
good reasons..

Bertram