[seek-kr-sms] Semantic Web Rule Language and GrOWL

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Sat Apr 23 09:46:42 PDT 2005

Then why is SWRL needed?

But the fact that tools such as RACER will support SWRL syntax is of

course noteworthy. What other rule syntaxes do they allow?

Bertram

Hi Bertram:

Actually the difference between   SWRL and Prolog is an interesting
question. My guess is that the first major difference is in having query
atoms: x:C , where C is an *arbitrary* OWL class description. One can write

legal rules as:

In this example there is  class D both on the right and the left side, but
in the right side (let's call it head :-) ) it is hidden inside of complex
class definition. The head:

smells by disjunction. I would actually transform  this expression to an
equivalent disjunction:

In our DILS paper I have tried to prove that actually anything made of DL
query atoms could be transformed into equivalent conjunction of query atoms,

provided that variable in enumerations are allowed (which is not the case
with SWRL of course)

I remember our earlier  talks in Santa Barbara about undesirability of
consistency of PROLOG programs and  the added advantage of DL over Prolog
programs. I guess, but do not know for certain that the second difference
between SWRL and Prolog is the decidability of consistency  of SWRL KB(With
some restrictions perhaps). I know for certain it was intention of the
earlier Grossoff, Horrocks work on SWRL...

If this holds, then could this extra expressive power that SWRL provides be
exploited in our applications to DI?

serguei