[kepler-dev] RE: [seek-kr-sms] computation ontologies

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 16 09:38:20 PDT 2004

Hi,

Although customization is a good feature, I thought that Rich was
reiterating the point that we had arrived at in earlier discussions that
the best default view is a domain-specific view.  That's why we had the
idea originally of having an ontology view that was 'switchable', and
our original design had a preference dialog tab that allowed the user to
choose their preferred view based on domain (e.g., the 'Ecology' view,
the "Geoscience" view, the 'Electrical engineering' view, etc.).

For details of our previous discussion, see pages 8 and 9 of the meeting
notes:

http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kepler/docs/dev/meeting-notes/kepler-sba-mtg-20040602.pdf?rev=1.1&content-type=application/pdf

This is sort fo a middle ground where we provide several classifications
and the user chooses among them without the ability to further customize
(at least at first).  Presumably such a mechanism could be extended to
allow the user to provide their own classifications, possibly by
modifying an existing one (I could envision a bookmark manager sort of
interface built right into the tree on the left ('Add new subcategory',
'Delete subcategory', with DnD operations to put actors in categories
[which actually would just annotate the actor with additional category
metadata]).

Matt

>>> chad

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu