[seek-kr-sms] computation ontologies

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 15 21:38:52 PDT 2004

Hey Chad -

I haven't worked on anything like an ontology of computation.  I've done
some work a number of ontologies that might be of interest:  1) an ontology
of statistical concepts, so that could be of use for describing actors that
implement statistical methods  2) an ontology of biodiversity indices and 3)
an ontology of ecological models.  But I suspect that these are more
high-level than the kind of granularity you will need to classify the actor
library as I know it.

Of course in some sense the actor library is already classified, as the
existing directory structure can be seen as a hierarchical classification
scheme.  Perhaps the problem is that ecologists and ecoinformatics people
don't like the classification scheme of the engineers and computer
scientists.  One issue I've thought of in this is that there will probably
need to be multiple classification schemes, and that the classification of
most interest to an end-user will depend on the domain expertise of that
user and on the problem they are addressing.  For example, GARP is an
ecological method, of interest when looking at spatial distributions of
species on a landscape.  It is also a statistical method and could be of use
in domains other than ecology and problems other than spatial distributions.

Rich