[seek-kr-sms] KR Ontology Needs

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 8 11:06:58 PDT 2004

Hi Susan,

That sounds great.  I'll ask Bertram, Mark, Shawn, and Rich to be sure
to include Joana in any future discussions regarding this issue.  Will
she be attending the KR/SMS meeting in September?  Maybe she should -- I
think some of this stuff will be discussed then, although probably not
resolved.

As far as a corpus goes -- we're not really trying to search the text.
We're really trying to search data, metadata descriptions of those data,
and metadata on analytical processes, using formally structured semantic
queries.  Of course there's text in there, but its highly structured.  I
think Shawn was proposing that users might not like to compose queries
using formal terms from our ontologies, but that keywords that were
formally defined in terms of the ontologies would provide a bridge that
the users could use more effectively.  Its pretty much an open question
about what we do, but the goal is to provide the benefits of semantic
linkages during search and integration of data and models.  If we need a
corpus to mine for terms and their semantic associations, there are the
journals like Ecology that might work.  I'm not sure what exactly would
be needed, or how specific the text would need to be.  But I'm sure
something could be found that is relevant and rich.

There are a set of use cases minimally outlined in our notes from Santa
Barbara in cvs.  The notes are somewhat cryptic (I took them so can help
clarify if you have questions), but they would make a good starting
point.  See pages 6, 10, 11, and 12 of:
http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/seek/projects/ams/docs/meeting-notes-sms-20031026.pdf?rev=1.2&content-type=application/pdf

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu