[seek-kr-sms] KR Ontology Needs

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Tue Sep 7 09:47:43 PDT 2004

Deana Pennington wrote:

> I think that this meeting should focus on the data integration issues,
> and then I'll schedule a BEAM meeting in Feb/Mar to get all of the
> domain scientists together to develop workflows that will use the
> integrated data.  I'll be working with Mark on an agenda this week, so
> anyone who has specific tasks they would like to see happen can let me
> know.  Maybe a breakout session where we develop keyword lists, or where
> we explicitly discuss actor functional ontologies... whatever you want
> to do.  We can remain flexible and modify the agenda on the fly, but
> people are already asking for an agenda, so I need to get it organized
> as much as possible.

When you say "data integration issues," what types of issues are you
thinking about?   For example, is there a set of questions you have in
mind to ask the scientists at the meeting?  (and if so, can you send
them?) It sounds like you're thinking we will find out what data sets
they need, and do the integration for them so that the data is ready for
the meeting in Feb/Mar.

It is really great that you have gotten this buy-in -- very exciting!

I would be happy to work on an agenda with you and Mark if you wish ...

In general, at some point we'd like to do "knowledge acquisition", and
at this point it isn't clear the best way to do that with scientists. Do
we show the ontologies, give a demo of protege and/or GrOWL, and then
let them have at it? Or, is there some other methodology that might be
more effective?

Shawn