[seek-kr-sms] is there any query language in sparrow dl?

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Mon Sep 6 08:31:04 PDT 2004

Serguei,

There isn't a sparrow query language.  But, since ultimately sparrow is
a prolog application, the query language comes for free.  (Note that our
progress on sparrow has been slow, since we've been doing other things ...)

What exactly do you want to query?  (e.g., for individuals -- i.e., data
-- or for classes, properties -- i.e., schema).

Also, what query use cases do you have in mind?

My suggestion would be to figure out why you want a query language and
who the query language is for. Since you say it would eventually be
graphical, you should start with the graphical "language"/interface,
then see what expressivity you need in a query language.

We used a conjuntive query style language in our ant prototype.  This
language makes query answering and other techniques convenient, but
isn't great for users.  The same can be said of RQL or any of the other
SQL-like languages.

shawn