[seek-kr-sms] Loading ontologies without internet connectivity

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 23 22:15:40 PST 2004

Hey Shawn -

Not sure what you mean by a solution in terms of the organization of the
ontologies.  The only one I can think of would be to have everything in one
file, and I kinda like having it in multiple files, helps me keep track of
where things are, and perhaps one day will be useful to someone who for
example wants to use our model of measurements (and units etc) for something
non-ecological.

As for ont-policy, I use it for both my work with Protege and for the
applications I'm developing that use Jena.  It doesn't really seem like
something I should check in - it is specific to my hard disk structure.  I
just added a bunch of declarations like this:

<OntologySpec>
    <!-- local version of the FoodWeb ontology Properties.owl -->
    <publicURI
rdf:resource="http://wow.sfsu.edu/ontology/rich/Properties.owl" />
    <altURL
rdf:resource="file:///D:/nceas/seek/projects/kr-sms/OWLOntologies/Properties
.owl" />
    <language  rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl" />
    <prefix    rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">prop</prefix>
</OntologySpec>

to the default ont-policy file, one for each owl file that I keep a local
copy of.

Rich