[seek-kr-sms] OWL Inference APIs (was Re: SMS stuff)

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:55:38 PST 2004

Bertram Ludaescher wrote:

> Serguei:
>
> Good points! I agree that it would be useful to understand what
> features are needed most in SEEK -- I guess the answer is "it
> depends".
>
> I would hope that for many things (e.g., the core SMS, semantic typing
> etc) we can get away with "standard" reasoning approaches, w/o getting
> all the way to the very fancy features that are at the bleeding CS
> edge. While those are very exciting, I fear they will make us sweat a
> lot. Even reasoners for "standard" DLs have problems it seems...
>
> but maybe we should just bite the bullet and run with those fancy
> examples you have.

I generally agree here: it would be really useful to know what exact
expressibility is needed in a DL for SEEK (or for ecological ontologies)
... but I think that at this point it isn't clear.  It might be nice to
start a short-list of the "extra" or "non-standard" features we come
across (with examples of why we think they are needed) as well as the
OWL-DL features we definately won't need.  At some point we may converge
on a nice DL for defining ecological ontologies (which would probably be
worth a publication somewhere).

Actually, here is an interesting paper (that I haven't read yet) that
introduces S-Box reasoning for spatial relationships:

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~haarslev/publications/qr-97web.pdf

It looks like they extend the notions of concrete domains for their work.

Shawn