[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL -metadata panel design.

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Mon Jun 28 10:29:05 PDT 2004

SB>I am not entirely sure what you are asking. If you could craft up
some
screen shots of what you are thinking that would really help.

Hi Shawn,

The tabbed pane approach is the one used by Oiledit and Protégé. See
metadata and namespace panes.

The   side pane approach can be thought of as merely an extension, or
alternative right side pane for existing design:
http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu/dmaps/growl/EcologicalConcepts.html

The dialog approach can be similar to protégé metadata pane except it
pops up when button is pressed.

SB>My general opinion is that namespace names are useful (if people
organize ontologies around these), namespaces (as URIs) for people to
view are not and shouldn't be integrated into the graphical interface.

They are not part of interface in most of cases. But if you use imports,
then you may like to distinguish the ontologies from where concept came
by prefix that can be some abbreviation.

SB>If someone really wants to see them, then I would suggest using a
different window (for "expert" mode) that lists namespace names and
their corresponding URI.

Yes, that is the idea. The question is how to integrate this ("expert")
window in existing growl. Should it be on the side pane, on separate
popup dilog, or made as a tab as in oiledit??? Or is there is a better
way?

Thanks,
Serguei