[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL Applet

Serguei Krivov skrivov at uvm.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:52:36 PST 2004

I do not think that 'is one of' is a correct reflection of union definition .
If U is a union of B and C it does not mean that U is either C or B.
Precisely it imply that
(for every x) (x belongs to U)
if and only if
(x belongs to B) OR (x belongs to C)
This is not any close to that union itself 'is one of' B or C. Though
every x that belongs to union  belogs to 'one of' B or C, BUT it also can belong
to both B and C as well.

The keyword unionOf and intersectionOF are in a way standard in many owl
species. If we want to replace them, the only legitimate substitutes are OR for
unionOf and AND for  intersectionOF. The word isoneOf normally used for
enumeration when an element can be one of those mentioned, but never several of
them.
serguei